Jairam Ramesh designated as the head of Future Earth Engagement Committee
The former Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on 26 October 2014 was designated as the head of Future Earth Engagement Committee.
The former Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on 26 October 2014 was designated as the head of Future Earth Engagement Committee, a global research platform panel on sustainable development.
The Future Earth Engagement Committee was instituted by an alliance of organisations including the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).
The Committee is a strategic advisory group of thought-leaders from stakeholder groups including business, policy and civil society representing the diversity of societal partners that are needed to address the challenges of global environmental change.
• Jairam Ramesh is a Member of the Parliament of India representing Andhra Pradesh in the Rajya Sabha.
• Jairam has earlier been Advisor to the Finance Minister during 1996-98 and advisor to the Prime Minister in 1991.
• As a member of UPA government, he was previously the Minister of State of Environment and Forests from May 2009 to July 2011.
• He has authored a number of key government reports in areas such as energy, technology, capital goods, industrial policy and telecom.
• He has been a founding member of the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad and is a member of the International Council of the New York-based Asia Society.
• In 2001, IIT Bombay presented him with the Distinguished Alumnus Award.