Jawed Usmani appointed as State Chief Information Commissioner (SCIC) in Uttar Pradesh (UP). Governor of UP Ram Naik on 10 November 2014 approved appointment of Jawed Usmani as CIC.
A three-member committee, headed by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav selected the name of Usmani and forwarded it to the Governor. Leader of Opposition in Assembly Swami Prasad Maurya and Leader of the House in Council Ahmad Hasan are other members of the committee.
At present, he is the chairman of Uttar Pradesh Board of Revenue. Under Right to Information Act, any person can be appointed on the constitutional post while he/she is in government service.
About Jawed Usmani
• Usmani is a 1978 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer.
• He holds MBA degree from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad and MSc degree in Social Policy and Planning from the London School of Economics.
• He has served as secretary in Union coal ministry and also as joint secretary to the Prime Minister.
• He was a senior advisor to the Executive Director at the World Bank in Washington DC.
• He has been a Minister of Economic Cooperation at the Embassy of India in Nepal.
• In 2012, he has served as Chief Secretary in Uttar Pradesh.
Who: Jawed Usmani
When: 10 November 2014
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla