Joint Statement on the First India-CELAC Troika Foreign Ministers Meeting Held in New Delhi
International current affairs August 2012. The first meeting of the India-CELAC Troika Foreign Ministers was held on 7 August 2012 in New Delhi
The first meeting of the India-CELAC Troika Foreign Ministers was held on 7 August 2012 in New Delhi. The Indian delegation was led by the External Affairs Minister of India, Shri S.M Krishna, whilst the CELAC Troika was led by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Chile Mr. Alfredo Moreno Charme, the pro-tempore President of CELAC. Apart from both the nations, the Foreign Minister of Venezuela Mr. Nicolas Maduro and the Vice Foreign Minister of Cuba, Mr. Rogelio Sierra participated in the meeting as members of the Troika.
Objective of the meet
• To discuss the regional and multilateral issues of mutual interest, to strengthen the multifaceted bilateral cooperation between India and CELAC.
• To co ordinate responses to regional issues and address international challenges including the UN reform, the international financial crisis, climate change and international terrorism.
• To enhance the exchange of visits at all levels including at the Summit level leading towards a 'Strategic Partnership' between India and CELAC.
• To expand relations between India and countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean region and make it possible for them to work together bearing in mind each sides' respective development priorities based on the common shared values of democracy, freedom, equality and justice.
• The two nations expressed satisfaction over the growth of commercial, economic and investment relations between India and CELAC, that has crossed US$ 25 billion in 2012.
• The nations agreed to set up an Energy Forum to discuss energy security issues.
• Both the countries agreed to work towards providing value addition in the exchange of commodities through direct trading and by setting up of manufacturing units.
• Both sides agreed to work towards providing for food security for their people
• Both the countries agreed to initiate various projects related to tele-education, e-governance and tele-medicine that would cover the entire Latin America and Caribbean region.
The Foreign Ministers of India and the CELAC Troika ended the First Meeting of the India-CELAC Troika Foreign Ministerial Dialogue at a good note after the commencement of CELAC in December 2011. The pro-Tempore President and Troika Foreign Ministers of CELAC will present this Joint Statement in next meeting of the Foreign Ministers of the Community that will be held in September 2012 in New York.