K Durga Prasad was appointed as the Special Director General (DG) of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) on 27 January 2015. Prasad, an IPS officer of 1981 batch from Andhra Pradesh cadre will be in office for next three years or till further orders are given.
Earlier, Prasad served as the director of the Special Protection Group (SPG). SPG provides security to the Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers and their family members.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
• It was established in 1939 and is the largest Central Armed Police Forces in India that operates under Union Ministry of Home Affairs
• It was established under Crown Representative’s Police but it was made statutory Central Reserve Police Force after the enactment of the CRPF Act, 1949 on 28 December 1949
• It is one of the oldest Central Para Military Forces (now termed as Central Armed Police Force)
• It was raised following the political unrest and the agitations in the then princely States of India. The Madras Resolution of the All-India Congress Committee in 1936 proposed for its establishment
• It is called as the Peace Keeper of the Nation
• At present, Prakash Mishra is the Director General of CRPF
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.