K Srikanth clinches Denmark Open Superseries trophy
Ace Indian shuttler, Kidambi Srikanth lifted the Denmark Open Superseries trophy at Odense, marking his third Super Series win of the year and fifth overall. The eighth seeded Srikanth defeated his opponent, South Korea's Lee Hyun-il in straight games, 21-10, 21-5.
Ace Indian shuttler, Kidambi Srikanth lifted the Denmark Open Superseries trophy at Odense on 22 October 2017, marking his third Super Series win of the year and fifth overall.
The eighth seeded Srikanth defeated his opponent, South Korea's Lee Hyun-il in straight games, 21-10, 21-5. Former world number one, Lee, is currently placed at the 17th rank. It was the first time Srikanth and Lee had faced each other.
The women’s singles’ final was equally thrilling with Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand delivering a shocking defeat to defending champion Akane Yamaguchi of Japan 14-21, 21-15, 21-19 in the 66-minute final. With the win, the current 9th seeded shuttler claimed her first Superseries title in 18 months.
Srikanth’s Road Map to Victory
• Srikanth decimated his opponent in Super Series final just 25 minutes.
• He had previously defeated 12th seeded Wong Wing Ki from Hong Kong on 21 October 2017 in straight matches of 21-18, 21-17 to book a berth in the final.
• Prior to that, Srikanth had delivered a shocking defeat to the reigning world number one, Viktor Axelsen of Denmark in the quarter finals to enter the semis.
• Srikanth had eliminated the Rio Olympic bronze medallist with a 14-21, 22-20, 21-7 in 56 minutes.
Other Indians in the Series
• India’s second seeded PV Sindhu shockingly crashed out from the Denmark Open Super Series in the opening round itself after losing in straight games of 17-21, 21-23 against China’s Chen Yufei.
• This was Sindhu’s second consecutive early loss after claiming the Korean Open title. She had lost in the second round of Japan Open as well previously.
• The 15th seedeed B Sai Praneeth also crashed out in the opening round of men's singles.
• While three Indians including Srikanth, Saina Nehwal and HS Prannoy had entered the quarter finals of the Denmark Open, only Srikanth could make it to the semis.
• Both Nehwal and Prannoy lost to their respective opponents during the quarter finals.
• In mixed doubles, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa, lost 19-21 17-21 to Niclas Nohr and Sara Thygesen of Denmark.
• In the men's doubles, Satwik and Chirag Shetty lost by 21-14 18-21 17-21 in the opening round against Korean pair, Chung Eui Seok and Kim Dukyoung.
• Other Indian men’s doubles pair of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy also lost to Denmark's Mads Conrad- Petersen and Mads Pieler Kolding in straight games of 13-21 18-21.
• Another mixed doubles pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy crashed out in the opening round after losing 17-21 15-21 to the Irish duo of Sam Magee and Chloe Magee.