Kerala Government gave approval for airport in Sabarimala
The nearest airports to Sabarimala are in Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. These airports are located at a distance of 160 kilometer and 170 kilometer from Sabarimala respectively.
The Kerala Cabinet gave its approval for construction of an airport in Hindu pilgrimage centre Sabarimala. The approval was given by the Cabinet at a meeting chaired by the State Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on 15 February 2017 in Thiruvananthapuram.
Details related to the approval
• The Cabinet has entrusted the Kerala Small Industries Development Corporation (KSIDC) with the task of conducting a feasibility study.
• The airport is expected to reduce the heavy traffic on the roads leading to Sabarimala during the pilgrim season.
• At present, pilgrims alighting at the Chengannur or Thiruvalla railway stations reach Sabarimala through various routes linking with the MC Road or National Highway.
• The airport also assumes relevance in the light of the delay in executing the Angamaly-Sabari railway line project.
• The rail project has been delayed due to poor availability of funds and also delay in getting clearance from the Union Government.
Following are some of the other proposals approved by the Cabinet.
• It was decided to reconstitute the Kerala Road Fund Board (KRBF) by creating new posts and redeploying employees.
• As per the reconstitution plan, new posts such as project director, general manager, team leader and divisional accountant will be created in the KRBF.
• The KRFB was mandated to act as a special purpose vehicle (SPV) to implement infrastructure projects taken up by the Public Works Department (PWD) with the assistance from the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB).
• The Cabinet gave its approval to create 44 supernumerary posts in the Department of Health.
• The posts include that of ophthalmic assistant, radiographer and blood bank technician.
• These new posts will ensure proper representation for Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) in the department.
• CM Kammappu was appointed as the senior government pleader in the State High Court.
• The Cabinet gave its approval for creation of new posts in the labour department to resolve the issues at the project site of the Vizhinjam seaport.