Laureus World Sports Awards 2016 were given in Berlin, Germany on 18 April 2016. The award ceremony was held in Germany for the first time.
World No 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic of Serbia won the Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award, whereas US tennis player Serene Williams won the Sportswoman of the Year Award.
For Djokovic it was back-to-back second Laureus Awards, whereas for Serena it was her fourth Laureus Awards.
List of Awardees
• Sportsman of the Year: Novak Djokovic, Serbia (Tennis)
• Team of the Year: New Zealand national rugby union team
• Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams, the US (Tennis)
• Comeback of the Year: Dan Carter, New Zealand (Rugby)
• Breakthrough of the Year: Jordan Spieth, the US (Golf)
• Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Daniel Dias, Brazil (Paralympic swimmer)
• Action Sportsperson of the Year: Jan Frodeno, Germany (Triathelete)
• Sport for Good Award: Moving the Goalposts
• Laureus World Sports Lifetime Achievement Award: Niki Lauda, Australia (former Formula 1 racer)
• Spirit of Sport Award: Johan Cruyff, the Netherlands (Football)
About Laureus World Sports Award
• It is annual award given by Laureus World Sports Academy since 2000
• It celebrates the most remarkable men and women from the world of sport along with the greatest achievements fans have admired throughout the year.
• It is given in 7 categories with the potential for additional discretionary Awards given.
• Each winner receives the Laureus Statuette, crafted by Cartier, with its representation of the striving human form against an engraved representation of the continents.
• Proceeds from the Laureus World Sports Awards directly benefit and underpin the work of the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 18 April 2016