The Laureus World Sports Awards for the year 2015 were given in seven categories on 15 April 2015 at Shanghai in China. Ace tennis star Novak Djokovic of Serbia and sprinter Genzebe Dibaba of Ethiopia were named as the Laureus World Sportsman and Sportswoman of the 2015 respectively.
List of Laureus World Sports Awards 2015
• Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Novak Djokovic, the Serbian tennis star
• Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year: Genzebe Dibaba, the Ethiopian sprinter
• Laureus World Team of the Year: Germany Men’s Football Team
• Laureus World Comeback of the Year: Schalk Burger of South Africa, who fought through life-threatening meningitis to win back his place in the Springboks rugby team
• Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Tatyana McFadden, the wheelchair racer
• Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year: Alan Eustace, he holds the world record for the highest-altitude free fall jump
Three additional awards were announced and they include
• Laureus Exceptional Achievement Award: Two-time Grand Slam winner Li Na of China, who won the Australian Open in 2014, before retiring from the sport due to chronic and worsening left knee injury
• Laureus Sport for Good Award: Australian Oliver Percovich, who changed the lives of young girls in war-ravaged Afghanistan with his worldwide skateboard programme Skateistan.
• Laureus Spirit of Sports Award: Retired Chinese basketball player Yao Ming, who had a stunning career with Houston Rockets until he retired in 2011
About Laureus World Sports Awards
The Laureus World Sports Awards are the premier honours on the international sporting calendar. The winners are chosen by the Laureus World Sports Academy, the ultimate sports jury, made up of 52 of the greatest living sportsmen and sportswomen. Proceeds from the Laureus World Sports Awards directly benefit and underpin the work of the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. Since its inception, Laureus has raised 60 million Euro for projects which have improved the lives of millions of young people.
Where: Shanghai in China
When: 15 April 2015