76 years old legendary painter Ganesh Pyne on 12 March 2013 died after a heart attack at a city hospital in Kolkata.
A Brief Insight Into the life of Ganesh Pyne
• Ganesh Pyne was born in Kolkata in 1937.
• In his long career of five decades his paintings were exhibited round the world - Paris, London, Washington and Germany.
• He was described as an artist's artist, a philosopher's philosopher and master fantasist of them all.
• He had received several awards and accolades for his works.
• He was conferred Raja Ravi Varma award by Kerala Government.
• He was known for his small tempera paintings, rich in imagery and symbols and acknowledged the influence of great painters like Abanindranath Tagore, Hals Rembrandt and Paul Klee.
• He had developed two important stylistic features -distortion and exaggeration which he used to explore the deep recesses of his fantastical imagination to create uncanny images of disquieting creatures.
• Ganesh Pyne drew his inspiration from Bengal's rich storehouse of folklore and mythology, stories that his grandmother told him in his childhood.
• He blended romanticism, fantasy and free form and an inventive play of light and shade to create a world of poetic surrealism.
• In the year 2012 Ganesh Pyne was conferred the lifetime achievement award by Indian Chamber of Commerce.
Ganesh Pyne is survived by his wife and son.