List of major International Awards conferred upon Prime Minister Modi
PM Modi honoured with the Bahrain Order-First Class, also known as ‘King Hamad Order of the Renaissance’ by Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was recently honoured with the 'Bahrain Order- First Class' by the King of Bahrain during his official visit to the Kingdom on the invitation Bahrain's Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa. Recently, PM Modi has also been conferred with the UAE's highest civilian award 'Order of Zayed'.
On similar lines, PM Modi has been honoured with various awards and accolades since the time of taking the hold of the premiership of the country in 2014. Have a look at these honours:
Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa on August 25, 2019, honoured PM Modi with the Bahrain Order-First Class, also known as ‘King Hamad Order of the Renaissance’, for strengthening bilateral relations of India with the Kingdom of Bahrain. The Prime Minister received the honour during his official visit to the Kingdom.
Upon receiving the Order, PM Modi tweeted, "I humbly accept The King Hamad Order of the Renaissance. This is a recognition of India’s strong friendship with Bahrain, which goes back hundreds of years and is expanding rapidly in the 21st century."
2. UAE honours PM Narendra Modi with Zayed Medal
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) on August 24, 2019, conferred the Order of Zayed, UAE’s highest civilian award on Indian PM Narendra Modi in recognition of his "pivotal role" in strengthening ties between the two nations. The award was announced on April 4, 2019.
The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan tweeted "We have historical and comprehensive strategic ties with India, reinforced by the pivotal role of my dear friend, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who gave these relations a big boost. In appreciation of his efforts, the UAE President grants him the Zayed Medal.”
About Zayed Medal
The Zayed Medal is the highest decoration of the UAE awarded to kings, presidents and heads of states.
The honour has previously been conferred on the leaders of several countries including Russian President Vladimir Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping, and Queen of the United Kingdom Elizabeth II.
3. Russia honours PM Narendra Modi with 'Order of St Andrew the Apostle'
Russia on April 12, 2019, announced that it had honoured Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the Order of St Andrew the Apostle, the highest order of the Russian Federation, for promoting partnership and friendly relations between the two countries.
PM Modi has been decorated with the order for exceptional services in promoting a special and privileged strategic partnership between Russia and India and friendly relations between the Russian and Indian people. The information was shared by the Russian Embassy in India.
About Order of St Andrew the Apostle
• The Order of St Andrew the Apostle is both the highest and the oldest state decoration of Russia.
• It was established as the first and highest order of chivalry of the Russian Empire in 1698 but was abolished under the USSR in 1918 before being reinstated as the top Russian order in 1998.
• The honour is awarded to prominent statesmen and public figures, eminent representatives of science, culture, the arts and various industries for exceptional services, for promoting the prosperity, grandeur and glory of Russia.
• It may also be awarded to foreign heads of states for outstanding service to the Russian Federation.
• The award comprises the collar, sash and the star of the Imperial Order.
4. PM Narendra Modi conferred with first-ever Philip Kotler Presidential Award
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on January 14, 2019, conferred with the first-ever Philip Kotler Presidential Award.
As per the award citation, the Prime Minister has been selected for his outstanding leadership for the nation. It is under his leadership that India is now identified as the Centre for Innovation and Value Added Manufacturing (through Make in India initiative).
The Citation mentions initiatives such as Make in India, Startup India, Digital India, and Swachh Bharat, “which have positioned India as one of the most lucrative manufacturing and business destinations in the world.”
About Philip Kotler Presidential Award
The Philip Kotler Presidential Award has been named after Professor Philip Kotler, a world-renowned Professor of Marketing at Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management.
Professor Kotler deputed Jagdish Sheth of EMORY University, Georgia, USA, to confer the award to PM Modi, owing to his ill-health.
5. PM Narendra Modi awarded with prestigious Seoul Peace Prize 2018 for 'Modinomics'
The Seoul Peace Prize Committee on October 24, 2018, conferred the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Committee recognised Modi's contributions to the growth of the Indian and global economies, crediting 'Modinomics' for reducing social and economic disparity between the rich and the poor.
With this, PM Modi became the 14th recipient of this coveted award.
About Seoul Peace Prize
• The Seoul Peace Prize was established in 1990 to commemorate the success of the 24th Olympic Games held in Seoul, Korea which saw the participation of 160 nations, creating harmony and friendship.
• The award was established to crystallise the Korean people's yearning for peace on the Korean Peninsula and in the rest of the world.
• The award has been conferred biennially to individuals who have made their mark through contributions to the harmony of mankind, reconciliation between nations and to world peace.
• The awardee receives a diploma, a plaque and honorarium of USD 200,000.
6. PM Modi honoured with UN Champions of the Earth Award 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on September 26, 2018, awarded with the prestigious UN Champions of the Earth Award 2018, the highest environmental honour of the United Nations. Modi received the award on October 3, 2018, by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
Prime Minister Modi was selected in the leadership category for his pioneering work in championing the International Solar Alliance, a global partnership to scale up solar energy. PM Modi was also acknowledged for his unprecedented pledge to eliminate all single-use plastic in India by 2022.
Champions of the Earth Award
• The Champions of the Earth award, the UN’s highest environmental recognition, was founded in 2005.
• The award celebrates exceptional figures from the public and private sectors and from civil society, whose actions have had a transformative positive impact on the environment.
• The award also recognises the efforts for promoting new areas of levels of cooperation on environmental action.
• The past laureates include - Afroz Shah, who led the world’s largest beach cleanup (2016), Rwandan President Paul Kagame (2016), former US Vice-President Al Gore (2007), Ocean Cleanup CEO Boyan Slat (2014), scientist-explorer Bertrand Piccard, and developer of Google Earth Brian McClendon (2013).
7. PM Modi conferred with 'Grand Collar of the State of Palestine
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on February 10, 2018, conferred with the 'Grand Collar of the State of Palestine' by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, recognising his contributions in promoting relations between India and Palestine.
The award was conferred after the bilateral meeting between the two leaders during the first-ever visit of PM Modi to Palestine. Moreover, Modi is also the first Indian Prime Minister to make an official visit to Palestine.
Grand Collar of the State of Palestine
• The Grand Collar is the highest order of Palestine given to foreign dignitaries such as Kings, Heads of State or Government and persons of similar rank.
• The past laureates include King Salman of Saudi Arabia, King Hamad of Bahrain, President Xi Jinping of China, amongst others.
8. Prime Minister Narendra Modi awarded with Amir Abdulla Khan Award of Afghanistan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during his brief visit to Afghanistan, was on June 4, 2016, conferred with the Amir Amanullah Khan Award, the highest civilian honour of Afghanistan.
He was awarded the honour by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani following the inauguration of the landmark Afghan-India Friendship Dam.
Amir Amanullah Khan Award
• Amir Amanullah Khan Award is the Highest Civilian honour bestowed by the Afghan government to Afghan national as well as foreigners in appreciation of their services.
• The award is named after the Afghan national hero, Amanullah Khan (Ghazi), who championed the cause of Afghanistan’s freedom.
• The citation on the reverse of the medal reads: “nishan-e dawlati Ghazi Amir Amanullah Khan”, or "State Order of Ghazi Amir Amanullah Khan.”
• Previous recipients include- US President George Bush, Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, NATO General James Jones, former Afghan President spiritual leader Sibghatullah Mujaddedi, and Afghan Chief Justice (CJ) Abdul Salam Azimi.
9. PM Modi conferred with King Abdulaziz Sash Award of Saudi Arabia
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on April 3, 2016, conferred with Saudi Arabia's highest civilian honour ‘King Abdulaziz Sash’ by King Salman bin Abdulaziz at the Royal Court of Saudi Arabia.
King Abdulaziz Sash Award
• The King Abdulaziz Sash Award is named after Abdulaziz Al Saud, the founder of the modern Saudi state.
• Among other notable recipients of this honour are US President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister David Cameron, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Indonesian President Joko Widodo.
Other honours and achievements
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 4, 2016, won the online reader’s poll for the TIME ‘Person of the Year 2016’.
Among the total votes cast, 18 per cent went to Modi, which is almost two times more than the percentage of yes votes received by U.S President Barack Obama, US President-elect Donald Trump and Founder of Wikileaks Julian Assange, who all got 7 per cent votes each.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on May 8, 2018, ranked among the 10 most powerful people in the world in the 2018 World's Most Powerful People list that is topped by Chinese President Xi Jinping.
PM Modi (9th rank) and Mukesh Ambani (32nd rank) were the only two Indians on the Forbes World's Most Powerful People list. PM Modi emerged as a key figure on international front to tackle climate change through the launch of the International Solar Alliance.
Time Magazine on April 20, 2017, released the annual list of 100 most influential people of 2017. The only two Indians to feature on the list were Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the third most followed leader on Twitter in July 2018 after US President Donald Trump and Pope Francis, as per a study by a global communications agency Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW).
Modi took the third spot among the world’s most-followed leaders with 42 million followers on his personal account. Modi's institutional account @PMOIndia ranked fourth with over 26 million followers.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS