Renowned carnatic vocalist M. S. Subbulakshmi will be honoured at the United Nations on 15 August 2016, India’s 70th Independence Day, by a performance by A.R. Rahman at the United Nations General Assembly.
With this, Rahman will become the second Indian artist after Subbulakshmi to perform at the UN. She was invited by the then UN Secretary General U Thant to perform at the UN headquarters in 1966.
About M S Subbulakshmi
• Born on 16 September 1916, Madurai Shanmukhavadivu Subbulakshmi was a Carnatic vocalist.
• She was the first musician ever to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian honour.
• She is the first Indian musician to receive the Ramon Magsaysay award in 1974.
• She gave her first performance at the prestigious Madras Music Academy in 1929 when she was 13 years old.
• She passed away on 11 December 2004 at the age of 88.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: M S Subbulakshmi
When: On 15 August 2016
Union Cabinet approved grant of Permanent Residency Status to Foreign Investors
MoUD and Amar Chitra Katha signs MoU to publish and distribute comic book on Swachh Bharat Mission
Gujarat becomes first state to distribute 2 crore LED Bulbs under UJALA
Mukesh Mehta appointed as President of India Bullion and Jewellers Association