Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni on 5 November 2014 was named as the captain of ICC ODI Team of the Year 2014. He has been selected in the ICC ODI team of the year for the eight time (seventh year in a row), while fifth year as a captain of the team.
ICC ODI Team of the Year 2014 (in batting order)
• Mohammad Hafeez (Pakistan)
• Quinton de Kock (South Africa)
• Virat Kohli (India)
• George Bailey (Australia)
• AB de Villiers (South Africa)
• MS Dhoni (wicketkeeper) (captain)
• Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)
• James Faulkner (Australia)
• Dale Steyn (South Africa)
• Mohammad Shami (India)
• Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka)
• Rohit Sharma (India) (12th man)
The selected ICC ODI team was chosen by a specially appointed selection panel chaired by the ICC’s Cricket Committee chairman and former India captain Anil Kumble. Other members of the committee were Jonathan Agnew, a former England international and now a respected broadcaster/journalist, ex-Sri Lanka opener Russel Arnold, former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming, and Betty Timmer, former Chair of the ICC Women’s Committee.
The team was selected on the basis of their 12-month performance between 26 August 2013 and 17 September 2014. The panel selected the team after discussing various combinations and took into account several scenarios like opposition, pitch conditions and match situations.
Who: Mahendra Singh Dhoni
When: on 5 November 2014