Pallewatte Gamaralalage Maithripala Yapa Sirisena (Maithiripala Sirisena) was on 9 January 2015 sworn-in as the 7th President of Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka’s Supreme Court Judge K Sri Pawan administered the oath of office to Maithiripala Sirisena at a oath taking ceremony held at the Independence Square in Colombo.
Before the swearing-in ceremony of President Maithripala Sirisena, the leader of the United National Party (UNP) Ranil Wickramasinghe took the oath as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka.
Maithripala heads a rainbow coalition of several parties including United National Party and the Buddhist Monk party.
• Born on 3 September 1951, Sirisena earned a Diploma in Political science at the Maxim Gorky Literature Institute in Russia.
• Sirisena joined mainstream politics in 1989 by contesting the parliamentary elections as an Sri Lankan Freedom Party candidate in Polonnaruwa district and was elected to Parliament.
• In 2001, Sirisena became the General Secretary of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party.
• In 2004, he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister of Mahaweli, River Basin & Rajarata Development.
• He was appointed as the Cabinet Minister of Agriculture, Irrigation and Mahaweli Development in 2005. Later in 2010, he was appointed as Cabinet Minister of Health.
When: 9 January 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.