Manmohan Singh laid the Foundation Stone of National Defence University
Foundation stone of the Indian National Defence University (INDU) was laid down by Manmohan Singh at Binola, Gurgaon.
The Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh on 23 May 2013 laid the foundation stone of the Indian National Defence University (INDU) at Binola, Gurgaon. The university is going to be an autonomous institution of national importance.
The Defence University came up following the recommendation of the Review Committee constituted after the Kargil Conflict by the Government for the establishment of a University that deals exclusively with defence and strategic matters. The review committee was headed by eminent strategic expert K Subrahmanyam.
Aim of INDU
• INDU aims to provide knowledge based higher education for management of the defence of India to the military leadership and other concerned civilian officials. It will also keep them abreast of the emerging security challenges via scholarly Research and Training
• It will develop and propagate higher education in Defence Studies like Defence Management, Defence Science and Technology. It will also promote the policy with its orientation towards, research related to National Defence.
• It will prepare officers for high level leadership as well as staff and policy responsibilities
• The think tanks of the University will be responsible for providing inputs for Policy Formulations
• It will focus on higher education in defence studies, defence management and defence science and technology
• The university will offer post graduate studies and doctoral / post doctoral research
Constituent Colleges and Institutions of INDU
• National College of Defence Studies (NCDS)
• Indian Institute of Defence Technology (IIDT)
• Indian Institute of Defence Management (IIDM)
• Defence Institute of Distance and Open Learning (DIDOL)
Institutes and Colleges of Indian armed forces that will be affiliated through INDU
• National Defence College (NDC) New Delhi
• Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) Wellington
• College of Defence Management (CDM) Secunderabad
• National Defence Academy (NDA) Khadakwasla
The University will be instituted by the Act of the Parliament and President of Indian Union will be a visitor to it and Defence Minister will be the Chancellor.
INDU will be governed as per its own norms and will be responsible to promote coordination and interaction between Institutions of Armed Forces or establishments of the country. It will give opportunity of higher studies through distance learning to both military and civilian personnel. It will also give affiliation to defence training institutions to award degrees.
The Institute will be headed by its President (who will be a three star serving General / equivalent officer with C-in-C status on appointment) and the Vice-President will be a civilian. The University is being planned on the lines of IIT/IIMs.
The students of the University will constitute 66 percent students from armed forces and remaining 33 percent would be drawn from other government agencies, police and civilian. The teaching faculty will comprise of both military personnel and civilians in the ratio of 1:1.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS