Martha Dodray, a health worker from Bihar on 6 November 2013 won the global UN Award for her commitment and dedication to eradicate Polio in India. United Nation has conferred the UN Frontline Workers Global Leadership Award to Martha Dodray.
The award was given in recognition of the roles to individuals, organizations, and corporations played in supporting the work of the United Nations’ to advance global peace, justice, and prosperity. The United Nations Foundation and the United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA) honored recipients of the 2013 Global Leadership Awards at the annual Global Leadership Dinner in New York City.
About Martha Dodray
• Martha Dodray is an Auxiliary Nurse & Midwife (ANM) from Darbhanga district of Bihar
• She represented the worldwide polio frontline workers. Her contribution cause was recognized by United Nations Foundation in 2013 and awarded
The other honorees recognized were
• Malala Yousafzai, honored for her role as a global activist on behalf of educating and empowering girls worldwide
• The Documentary Group and 10x10 for Girl Rising, honored for its efforts to ensure all girls receive an education
• GE Africa honored for its commitment to the Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s Every Women Every Child initiative and for building partnerships across Africa to advance country-owned solutions, innovation and development in health care
• Ambassador Samantha Power, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, was presented the Leo Nevas Human Rights Award for her enduring commitment to the global advancement of human rights and a strong U.S.-UN relationship
• Senator Timothy E. Wirth, former UN Foundation President, and current Board Vice Chair, recipient of the Champion for Global Change, was honored for his leadership in advancing women’s rights, sustainable development, and climate security throughout his career, including his 15-year legacy as President of the UN Foundation
About the United Nations Foundation
The United Nations Foundation builds public-private partnerships to address the world’s most pressing problems and broadens support for the United Nations through advocacy and public outreach. Through innovative campaigns and initiatives, the Foundation connects people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems. The Foundation was created in 1998 as a U.S. public charity by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner and now is supported by global corporations, foundations, governments, and individuals.
The United Nations Association of the United States of America (UNA-USA) is a membership organization dedicated to informing, inspiring, and mobilizing the American people to support the ideals and vital work of the United Nations. For 70 years, UNA-USA has worked to accomplish its mission through its national network of Chapters, youth engagement, advocacy efforts, education programs, and public events. UNA-USA is a program of the United Nations Foundation. UNA-USA and its sister organization the Better World Campaign represent the single largest network of advocates and supporters of the United Nations in the world.