Mayank Ashar on 21 October 2014 was appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Cairn India with effect from 17 November 2014.
Cairn India Limited was without a full-time CEO after the resignation of Rahul Dhir in August 2012. The company first appointed P Elango as Interim CEO who resigned in May 2014. After his resignation, Sudhir Mathur, the Chief Financial Officer of the company was given additional charge of interim CEO.
• Mayank Ashar holds a Bachelors of Art and Science degree in Chemical Engineering, a Bachelors degree in Philosophy and Economics, Masters degree in Engineering and MBA degree from the University of Toronto.
• He has served in various senior management and top leadership roles in global organisations like British Petroleum, Petro-Canada and Suncor Energy.
• He has also served as the Chief Executive Officer and President of Irving Oil Limited.
• In recognition of his operational excellence and large scale project management leadership in the oil sands project with Suncor Energy, Mayank Ashar was honored as the Operations Executive of the Year by the Canadian Business Magazine in 2003.
Cairn India Limited
• On 9 January 2007, Cairn India Limited was listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India.
• Cairn India is now part of the Vedanta Group, a globally diversified natural resources group.
• Cairn India is headquartered in Gurgaon and has operational offices in India including Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and International offices in Colombo and London.
• Together with its Joint Venture partners, Cairn India accounts for around one fourth of India's domestic crude oil production.
• The Company sells its oil to major refineries in India and its gas to both Public Sectors Units and private buyers.