Milind Soman completes 517.5-km-long Ultraman race barefoot
The model-turned-actor, Milind Soman became the only contestant to complete the heavy endurance race, Ultraman barefoot.
Milind Soman, the national level swimmer-turned-model successfully completed a 517.5 km race, an extremely high endurance event called Ultraman on 19 February 2017 in Florida.
The race that was divided into three days included swimming, cycling and running. The 51-year-old completed the whole event barefoot, gaining the title Ultraman.
Key Highlights of the Race
• The first part of the event that began on 17 February opened with a 10 km swim followed by 147.2 km bike ride, which Soman sailed through smoothly.
• The day two involved a timed 171 km bike ride that Soman completed with just 5 seconds to spare.
• The day three involved an 84 km long ultra –marathon, which too Soman completed successfully.
• Soman was cheered on at the event by his 76-year-old mother, Usha Soman, who followed him in a car constantly encouraging him.
• He was accompanied by four other Indians - Abhishek Mishra, Kaustubh Radkar, Prithviraj Patil and Manmadh Rebba, who also completed the race.
• While Pune’s Kaustubh Radkar was the fastest Indian in the race with a timing of 31 hrs 29 mins, Soman was the only contestant who completed all the events barefoot.
• Soman’s overall timing was 34 hrs and 49 mins.
• The other three Indians, Prithivraj Patil, Manmad Rebba and Abhishek Mishra finished the race in 31 hrs 32 mins, 31 hrs 43 mins and 34 hrs 51 mins respectively.
This challenging race is not Soman’s first such experience as he has previously taken part in the Ironman event, held in Zurich, Switzerland in 2015. The event too involved a gruelling race course including a 3.8 km swim, 180.2 km bicycle ride and a 42.2km run.
About Ultraman Florida
• It is a three-day athletic endeavour aimed to test an athlete’s physical and mental limits.
• The race covers a total distance of 517.5 km around central Florida.
• It is an extremely difficult challenge to complete because of the tough terrains and weather.
• The annual event is by ‘invite only’.