Union Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu on 22 February 2017 dedicated Antyodaya Express to the nation at the Delhi Safdarjung Station. The Railway Board Chairman AK Mital was present on this occasion.
Antyodaya Express is a long-distance, fully unreserved and super fast train service for the common man. These trains, which will be operated only on dense routes, were proposed for the first time by Suresh Prabhu in his 2016-17 Railway Budget speech.
These coaches are fully unreserved Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) second class coaches with the following additional amenities:
● Cushioned luggage racks which can serve as seats
● Additional hand holds in doorway area
● J-hook near longitudinal luggage racks
● Multiple unit cables at both ends of the coach
● Vestibuled ends for internal movement of the passengers
● Potable drinking water dispenser
● Mobile charging points
● Fire extinguisher with anti-theft lock
● FRP (Fibre Reinforced Plastic) Modular Toilets
● Pleasing interior colour scheme
● Display boards to indicate toilet occupancy
● Light Emitting Diodes
● SS Slip-free flooring at doorway and gangway
● Anti-graffiti coating for exterior painting
Ministry of Railways has identified following routes for the Antyodaya Express.
(i) 15567/15568 Darbhanga-Jalandhar City Antyodaya Express (Weekly)
(ii) 22885/22886 Lokmanya Tilak(T)-Tatanagar Antyodaya Express (Bi-weekly)
(iii) 22841/22842 Santragachi-Chennai Central Antyodaya Express (Weekly)
(iv) 22895/22896 Bilaspur-Firozpur Antyodaya Express (Weekly)
(v) 22921/22922 Bandra(T)-Gorakhpur Antyodaya Express (Weekly)
(vi) 22877/22878 Howrah-Ernakulam Antyodaya Express (Weekly)
(vii) 15563/15564 Jaynagar-Udhna Antyodaya Express (Weekly)
The following are some of the recent measures undertaken by the government to modernize the Indian Railways.
• The ‘Coach Mitra’ facility, a single window interface to register all coach related complaints and requirements, was proposed in the General Budget 2017-18.
• On 13 February 2017, the Ministry of Railways announced that the first portion of the Indian Railways Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC) between Ateli and Phulera will become operational by March 2018.
• On 8 February 2017, the first phase of the Station Redevelopment Program (SRP) was launched. The SRP is aimed at creating world-class amenities in selected railway stations.
Who: Antyodaya Express
Where: Delhi Safdarjung Station
When: 22 February 2017