Ministry of Shipping initiated Project Green Port to make Indian ports cleaner and greener
Project Green Ports will have two verticals, namely Green Ports Initiatives and Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan.
The Union Ministry of Shipping on 19 January 2016 started Project Green Ports, which will help in making the Major Ports across India cleaner and greener.
Project Green Ports will have two verticals:
• Green Ports Initiatives
• Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
Features of Green Port Initiatives
It includes twelve initiatives which will be implemented under strict time bound fashion in order to achieve the targets.
Some of these initiatives are:
• Preparation and monitoring plan
• Acquiring equipments required for monitoring environmental pollution
• Acquiring dust suppression system
• Setting up of sewage/waste water treatment plants/ garbage disposal plant
• Setting up projects for energy generation from renewable energy sources
• Completion of shortfalls of Oil Spill Response (OSR) facilities (Tier-1)
• Prohibition of disposal of almost all kind of garbage at sea, improving the quality of harbour wastes etc.
Features of Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
The Ministry has identified 20 activities with certain time-line to promote cleanliness at the port premises.
Some of the activities include:
• Cleaning the wharf
• Cleaning and repairing of sheds
• Cleaning and repairing of port roads
• Painting road signs, zebra crossing, pavement edges
• Modernizing and cleanliness of all the toilet complexes in the operational area
• Placement of dustbins at regular intervals
• Beautification and cleaning of parks
• Putting boards indicating cleanliness messages
• Cleaning and repairing of all drainages and storm water systems
• Tree plantation
In order to achieve these objectives, regular training will be provided to the staff in order to generate awareness and inculcate a positive attitude towards keeping the environment clean and green.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App