Mithali Raj named Captain of ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 team
She was at her best in the quarter-final against New Zealand in Derby when she scored 109 to enter into the semifinals with a 186-run victory.
India skipper Mithali Raj was on 24 July 2017 named as the Captain of the ICC Women's World Cup 2017 team by the International Cricket Council (ICC). Besides Mithali, Harmanpreet Kaur and Deepti Sharma were the other two Indians included in the ICC's team.
This is the second time that Mithali has been named in the Team of the tournament at a World Cup. She was first included in the team in 2009.
Mithali's selection as the Captain came after she led India to the finals of the just-concluded ICC Women's World Cup. Unfortunately, India lost to England just by nine runs in one of the most thrilling finals at the Lord's.
Mithali scored a total of 409 runs during the 30- day tournament. She was at her best in the quarter-final against New Zealand in Derby when she scored 109 to enter into the semifinals with a 186-run victory.
Her other notable scores in the tournament were 71 against England in the tournament opener in Derby, 46 against the West Indies in Taunton, 53 against Sri Lanka in Derby and 69 against Australia in Bristol.
Team of the ICC Women's World Cup 2017 in order of performance
• Tamsin Beaumont (Player of the Tournament) (England) – 410 runs
• Laura Wolvaardt (South Africa) – 324 runs
• Mithali Raj (Captain) (India) – 409 runs
• Ellyse Perry (Australia) – 404 runs and nine wickets
• Sarah Taylor (wk) (England) – 396 runs, four catches and two stumpings
• Harmanpreet Kaur (India) – 359 runs and five wickets
• Deepti Sharma (India) – 216 runs and 12 wickets
• Marizanne Kapp (South Africa) – 13 wickets
• Dane van Niekerk (South Africa) – 99 runs and 15 wickets
• Anya Shrubsole (England) – 12 wickets
• Alex Hartley (England) – 10 wickets
• 12th: Natalie Sciver (England) – 369 runs and seven wickets
The team was selected by Geoff Allardice, Ian Bishop, Charlotte Edwards, Snehal Pradhan and Lisa Sthalekar.