Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) Chief Mohan Bhagwat on 9 March 2017 was conferred honorary degree of Doctor of Science (DSc) by the city-based Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University.
Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra, handed over the honorary degree to Bhagwat at the convocation of the varsity. Bhagwat is a veterinary doctor by training.
The RSS chief was honoured with the degree for his contribution in the field of veterinary sciences and social work.
About Mohan Bhagwat
• Born on 11 September 1950, Mohan Bhagawat is the current Chief of the Hindu nationalist organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh.
• In March 2009, he was chosen as the successor to K. S. Sudarshan.
• He is one of the youngest leaders to head the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh after Dr. K. B. Hedgewar and M.S.Golwalkar.
• He completed his schooling from Lokmanya Tilak Vidyalaya.
• He graduated in Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry from Government Veterinary College, Nagpur.
• Towards the end of 1975, he dropped out of his postgraduate course in Veterinary Sciences and became a pracharak of the RSS.
• From 1991 to 1999, he became Akhil Bharatiya Sharirik Pramukh for India.
• Later, he was promoted as Akhil Bharatiya Pracharak Pramukh.
• At Z+ VVIP security cover, he is one of the most protected Indians today.