Mumbai University signed MoU with Indian Railways to set up Rail Innovation and Technology Centre
Under the MoU, Mumbai University will provide education, distribution of facilities for higher education, effective administration and financial control.
Mumbai University on 23 February 2015 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Railways to set up a Rail Innovation and Technology Centre to train students for expertise in Railway Engineering.
Highlights of the MoU
• Indian Railways will allocate 142.89 crore rupees budget for the centre over the next five academic years.
• Mumbai University will provide education, distribution of facilities for higher education, effective administration and financial control.
• The university will impart practical training to candidates at university’s Kalina, Ratnagiri and Kalyan sub campus.
• The university will also start specialized courses at the Post Graduate level related to rail technology.
• This institute will help the Indian Railways in developing cutting-edge indigenous technologies and turn as a net exporter of such technologies.
The areas identified by the University to carry out innovation and research will include robust designing and construction of railway bridges and tunnels, modernization of signal and communication systems, developing glitch free high speed rail systems, wheel- rail interface related issues rail noise and vibration control and improved safety mechanisms.