Muzaffar Ali, a noted filmmaker of India was selected for Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on 31 July 2014. His name was selected for his outstanding contribution towards the promotion of Communal harmony, peace and goodwill.
The decision of selecting Ali for the award was taken at a meeting of the Advisory Committee of the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award. This will be the 22nd edition of the Sadbhawna award and will be presented at Jawahar Bhawan on 20 August 2014 at a special ceremony.
About Muzaffar Ali
• He had directed several movies like Bollywood classic Umrao Jaan, Gaman and Khizan
• 69-year-old, Ali is also a social worker and a Sufi poet
• In 2005, he became the recipient of Padma Shri
• He was born on 21 October 1944 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
• His Vinod Khanna-Dimple Kapadia starrer Zooni is still unreleased
• He belongs to a royal Muslim Rajput family of Kotwara
About Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award
Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award (Rajiv Gandhi National Communal Harmony Award) is an award of India that is given for outstanding contribution towards promotion of communal harmony, national integration, peace and fight against violence. It was constituted in 1992.
It is given away on 20 August, the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister late Rajiv Gandhi, which is also celebrated as the Sadbhavna Diwas (Harmony Day). The award carries a citation and cash award of 5 lakh rupees.
Since constitution, the award is given away by Sonia Gandhi wife of late Rajiv Gandhi and at present President of Congress.
Previous recipient of the award are
• Mother Teresa
• KR Narayanan
• Ustad Bismillah Khan
• Lata Mangeshkar
• Sunil Dutt
• Dilip Kumar
• Ustad Amjad Ali Khan
• Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
• Jagan Nath Kaul
• Muhammad Yunus
• Hiteswar Saikia and Subhadra Joshi (jointly)
• Kapila Vatsyayan
• Teesta Setalvad and Harsh Mander (jointly)
• S N Subbarao, Swami Agnivesh and Madari Moideen (jointly)
• Nirmala Deshpande
• Hem Dutta
• N Radhakrishnan
• Gautam Bhai
• SPIC MACAY
• D R Mehta
Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan was recipient of the 21st Rajiv Gandhi National Sadhbhavna Award.
Who: Muzaffar Ali
When: 31 July 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.