The Union Government on 20 November 2017 signed four Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) respectively with the State of Nagaland and Union Territories (UTs) Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu under UDAY Scheme for operational improvements.
With the signing of these 4 four MoUs, a total of 27 states and 4 Union Territories have now joined the UDAY Scheme. The agreements were signed on the occasion of the second anniversary of Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY).
• These four State and UTs joined the UDAY Scheme only for operational improvement and will not undergo financial restructuring under the scheme.
• By joining the scheme, Nagaland will enjoy an overall net benefit of Rs 551 crores, Andaman & Nicobar will fetch Rs 18 crores, Dadra & Nagar Haveli will be benefitted by Rs 13 crores and Daman & Diu will gain Rs 10 crores.
• These states and UTs will be benefitted through cheaper funds, reduction in AT&C and Transmission losses, interventions in energy efficiency during the period of turnaround.
• AT&C losses and transmission losses will come down through compulsory distribution of transformer metering, consumer indexing & GIS mapping of losses, upgrading transformers and smart metering,.
• The Union Government will also provide incentives to the State and UTs for improving power infrastructure and for further lowering the cost of power.
• The ultimate benefit will be enjoyed by the people of these state/UTs as the reduced levels of AT&C losses will mean lesser cost per unit of electricity to consumers.
When: 20 November 2017