National Conference on Jal Kranti Abhiyan organised in Delhi
A national conference was organised by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation on Jal Kranti Abhiyan on 7 March 2017 in New Delhi.
The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation organised a national conference on Jal Kranti Abhiyan on 7 March 2017 in New Delhi.
The conference was inaugurated by Uma Bharti, the Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation. Also in attendance were Sanjeev Kumar Baliyan and Vijay Goel, the Union ministers of state for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
The day-long conference saw around 700 participants, representing various stakeholder groups such as officials, farmers, students, NGOs and panchayat members.
About Jal Kranti Abhiyan
• The nation-wide programme was launched by Union Minister Uma Bharti on 5 June 2016.
• The programme mainly aims to create awareness among various stakeholders about the importance of water conservation and security and also to help resolve several water-related issues in the country.
• It was launched with the objective of consolidating water conservation and management in the country through a more integrated approach involving all stakeholders and making it a mass movement.
• It aims to bring together all relevant existing and planned schemes of the Government of India on one platform to achieve the objectives.
Some of the broad goals of the programme include:
- To strengthen grass root involvement of all stakeholders including local bodies and Panchayati Raj institutions in the water security and development schemes like Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM).
- To encourage the adoption of traditional knowledge in water resources conservation and its management.
- To utilize sector level expertise from different levels in the government, NGOs and citizens.
- To enhance livelihood security through water security in rural areas.