22 December: National Mathematics Day
India on 22 December 2015 celebrated National Mathematics Day. The day was observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of great Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
On this occasion, India and UNESCO agreed to work jointly in spreading the joy of mathematics and knowledge to students and learners across the world.
To this end, Conferences on the “Zero” at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, as well as at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore were held in recognition of Aryabhata’s role in the invention of zero.
The conferences brought together academics, mathematicians and teachers to explore and discuss key associated concepts.
About National Mathematics Day
The declaration to observe 22 December as National Mathematics Day was made by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh on 26 February 2012 at Madras University on the occasion of 125th birth anniversary of Ramanujan.
It was also declared to observe year 2012 as the National Mathematics Year.
About Srinivasa Ramanujan
• Srinivasa Ramanujan was born on 22 December 1887 in Erode district of Tamil Nadu.
• He died at a young age of 32 years on 26 April 1920
• Ramanujan made important contributions in number theory, infinite series, mathematical analysis, and making formulas and equations.
• He compiled more than 3900 mathematical results and equations, and his discoveries namely Ramanujam Prime and Ramanujam theta inspired further research on the subject.
• He along with a British Mathematician Godfrey Harold Hardy discovered the smallest number represented as sum of two cubes 1729 which came to be known as Hardy-Ramanujan number.
• He was said to be a natural genius, in the same league as mathematicians such as Euler and Gauss.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: Across the country
When: 22 December 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Japan and South Korea reached Agreement on Issue of Comfort Women
Union Cabinet approved construction of 69 bridges on trilateral highway in Myanmar
Union Cabinet approved MoU between India & Jordan for promoting cooperation in IT & Electronics
Dr Gyanendra D Bandgaiyan appointed DG of National Centre for Good Governance