The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports on 23 August 2017 announced that it will establish National Sports Museum at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
The decision in this regard was taken three months back. The current venue for museum was finalized by the Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel himself.
• The first-of-its-kind museum will showcase India’s achievements in sports.
• It will also focus on the traditional sports within the country.
• The aim of the museum is to popularise the sports as a way of life within the country.
• The first phase for establishing the museum will commence soon as the idea has been transformed from concept to museum model stage by the experts.
• The proposed museum will go beyond the classical approach of a collection of memorabilia to become an interactive venue of interest for all age groups.
• The museum will display achievements of the Indian greats in sports and also act as an educational hub and offer opportunity for the young to delve into some sporting activity.
• The proposed museum will also have audio-visual display of rules and legacy events pertaining to various sports as part of education for the budding sportspersons.
• The museum will also house a well-equipped library of sports and physical fitness, painting gallery and am amphitheatre for screening of legacy matches/ contests/games.
• It will also have a cafeteria, an activity zone, a souvenir/pro shop and a play area.
• It is also proposed that the activities planned in various segments will include sporting activities, sports related computer games and kiosks selling sports memorabilia and sports equipment.