Nawaz Sharif on 5 June 2013 took oath to the office of the Prime Minister of Pakistan for his third term after formally being elected as the Prime Minister by the National Assembly. Sharif returned back to power almost after 14 years after he was forced to leave the office in a military coup and went into exile. He was sworn-in by the President Asif Ali Zardari at a function in an ornate hall at the Presidency.
During his oath ceremony, he pointed to work towards improvement of the falling economy, electricity blackouts and an end to American drone Strikes in the tribal areas. Nawaz Sharif party PML-N made a landslide victory in the General Elections conducted in May 2013 by receiving 244 votes in favour of the 342 seat Parliament.
About Nawaz Sharif
• He took oath to the office of the Prime Minister of Pakistan on 5 june 2013 (the country that has witnessed three military coups in 66 year long history)
• Sharif is the first Prime Minister of Pakistan to serve three terms in the office his first two terms were from 1990 to 1993 and 1997 to 1999. In 1993, he failed to complete the term due to corruption charges and during his second term he met with a military coup
• He is a leading industrialist of Pakistan and the owner of Ittefaq Group, a leading business conglomerate of Pakistan
• In 1985, he was appointed as the Chief Minister of Punjab by Zia-ul-Haq
• He was born on 25 December 1949 at Lahore, Pakistan