New Chairperson of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Manhar Valjibhai Zala assumed office
The chairperson Manhar Valji and the other two members will hold the office for a period not exceeding three years.
Manhar Valjibhai Zala on 16 March 2017 became the chairperson of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis. Along with Valji, two members - Manju Diler and Dalip Kallu Hathibed – assumed office.
About National Commission for Safai Karamcharis
• The National Commission for Safai Karamcharis seeks to study, evaluate and monitor the implementation of various schemes meant for the welfare of safai karamcharis.
• The commission was constituted in August 1994 as per the provisions of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Act, 1993.
• The commission consists of a chairperson, a vice-chairperson and five members. Among them, at least one of the members shall be a woman.
• The chairperson, vice-chairperson and every member shall hold office for such period not exceeding three years.
• All orders and decisions of the commission shall be authenticated by the chairperson or any other officer of the commission duly authorised by the chairperson in this behalf.
• The commission performs following functions, namely,
i. Recommend to the Union Government specific programmes of action towards elimination of inequalities in status, facilities and opportunities for safai karamcharis under a time-bound action plan
ii. Study and evaluate the implementation of the programmes and schemes relating to the social and economic rehabilitation of safai karamcharis
iii. Investigate specific grievances and take sou moto notice of matters relating to non-implementation of programmes or schemes in respect of any group of safai karamcharis