Next China-India War - World's First Water War – 2029: General Sundarajan Padmanabhan
Book titled Next China-India War - World's First Water War – 2029 authored by former Army chief General Sundarajan Padmanabhan was released in October 2014.
74-year-old former General, who is known for mobilizing the Army during Operation Parakram in response to the 2001 terror attack on the Parliament, in the book has predicted that the two countries will conflict over the Brahmaputra.
In his prediction he has showcased Chinese plan to divert Yarlung Tsangpo (Brahmaputra River) from flowing south to India and Bangladesh to flowing north to Northwest China. India has also protested against this project to the UN, who referred it to the International Court of Justice. Both the Court and the UN held that as the river originates in Tibet, a province of China, China was entitled to alter the course of the river to suit her.
Recently, China also announced that it has completed a major dam on Brahmaputra, in Tibet. On the other hand, India has raised its concern that the dam could cause flash floods and landslides downstream.
The author in the book has said that, China in response to India’s actions to prevent China from achieving the diversion of the River will threaten India of using nuclear weapons.
The book deals with the Chinese and Indian actions as well as the contribution of Tibet to the final settlement of what amounted to the world s first water war. Although the book is the work of fiction but it could also be eligible to be called Future History if the plot as woven in the book begins to come true.
About Sundarajan Padmanabhan
• He was the Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army as successor of General Ved Prakash Malik and was succeeded by General Nirmal Chander Vij
• He also served as Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee
• He is known as the general who got the Army together for a war that was not waged
• Operation Parakram involved India's military standoff with Pakistan in response to the 2001 terror attack on the Parliament. But the operation was called-off.
• Born 5 December 1940 in Trivandrum, Travancore, Padmanabhan has penned Indian military fiction book on military and diplomacy, titled Writing on the Wall: India Checkmates America 2017. The book demonstrates a plot that involves India fighting a war simultaneously with Pakistan while improving relations with China.
When: in October 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla