Nina Davuluri Became First Indian-Origin Contestant to Win the Miss America Pageant
Indian-origin American, Nina Davuluri on 15 September 2013 became the first Indian-origin to win the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Indian-origin American, Nina Davuluri on 15 September 2013 became the first Indian-origin contestant to win the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey. She was initially named the Miss New York 2013 and subsequently won Miss America 2014 title. She is the first Indian-origin woman to be chosen as Miss America.
Life Sketch of Nina Davuluri
• Nina Davuluri was born in Syracuse, New York on 20 April 1989. She later moved to Oklahoma and then to St. Joseph, Michigan.
• She was born to the Telugu parents and hails from Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India.
• She is a trained Kuchipudi and Bharatanatyam dancer and also learnt to play piano.
• Major titles that she won include Miss Syracuse 2013, Miss New York 2013 and Miss America 2014.
Soon after the crowning, she was responded with the racist comments on the social media, while referring her as Arab or Muslim. At her first Press Conference, Nina Davuluri said, “I have to rise above that. I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.”
It is important to note that Nina Davuluri is the second consecutive Miss New York to win the Miss America crown. She succeeded Mallory Hagan. Nina Davuluri, 24, received the tiara as well as 50000 US Dollar scholarship cash. She performed the Bollywood fusion dance and also answered the question about plastic surgery.
The Top 12 finalists
• Miss Maryland Christina Denny
• Miss Connecticut Kaitlyn Tarpey
• Miss Florida Myrrhanda Jones
• Miss Missouri Shelby Ringdahl
• Miss Oklahoma Kelsey Griswold
• Miss New York Nina Davuluri
• Miss Wisconsin Paula Mae Kuiper
• Miss Texas Ivana Hall
• Miss California Crystal Lee
• Miss Kansas Theresa Vail
• Miss Georgia Carly Mathis
• Miss Minnesota Rebecca Yeh