The NITI Aayog on 8 March 2016, celebrated as International Women’s Day, launched the Women Transforming India initiative in partnership with the UN in India and MyGov.
Through the initiative, NITI Aayog seeks for entries in the form of written essays/stories, preferably accompanied by photographs that set a context to the narrative. These stories should reflect new ground broken by women in empowering themselves/others, or of challenging stereotypes.
Why the campaign is launched?
• To encourage and recognize women who have made a difference, particularly, by demonstrating leadership in the economic, socio-cultural and environmental front.
• To encourage the stories of change fostered through the setting up of small businesses/enterprises to generate livelihood opportunities for communities, challenging discriminatory practices/norms, or preserving the environment and responding to challenges of climate change.
• To identify successes in leading change achieved either through the use of technology or by employing innovating on-ground methods.
• Spread across a period of over one month, the initiative will also sensitize citizens to gender issues and seek to promote gender equity and equality, through a variety of media.
• Women Transforming India is consistent with the government’s renewed commitment to advancing gender equality.
• The many interventions including Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Sukanya Samridhi Yojana, Janani Suraksha Yojana are testimony to its resolve to empower and educate of girls, and to tackle discrimination against girls and women.
• This initiative is also a step forward in furthering the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which have Gender as a stand-alone goal.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 8 March 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.