Nitish Kumar, the Chief Minister of Bihar resigned from his office on 17 May 2014. He tendered his resignation to the Governor of Bihar Dnyandeo Yashwantrao Patil after his party Janata Dal United was able to win only two seats of the 40 in the 16th Lok Sabha elections.
He also recommended dissolution of the Bihar Assembly as his party is in minority and is dependent on the support of Congress, Communist Party of India and Independent MLAs.
Number of seats won by different parties in Bihar
• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won 22 seats
• Lok Janashakti Party (LJP) won six seats
• Rashtriya Lok Samata Party (RLSP) won three seats
• Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) won four seats
• Indian National Congress (INC) won two seats
• Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) won one seat
When: 17 May 2014