Nongthombam Biren Singh sworn in as Chief Minister of Manipur
After the declaration of the results of Manipur Elections 2017, Manipur Governor Najma Haptullah invited the BJP-led coalition to form the next government in the state.
Nongthombam Biren Singh was on 15 March 2017 sworn in as the Chief Minister (CM) of Manipur at the Raj Bhawan in Imphal. He will succeed outgoing CM Okram Ibobi Singh.
After the declaration of the results of Manipur Elections 2017, Manipur Governor Najma Haptullah invited the BJP-led coalition to form the next government in the state after being assured of requisite support from regional parties and Independents.
Following this, Biren Singh was elected as the BJP’s legislature party leader, paving the way for his Chief Ministerial post.
Since the day of the results of Manipur Elections 2017, both the Congress and the BJP have claimed support in order to form the next government in the state.
Although, the Congress emerged as the single largest party with 28 MLAs, but the BJP with 21 MLAs, claims to have the support of other parties on the state including NPP (4), NPF (4), LJP (1), and three others. In all, BJP claims to have the support of 32 MLAs in the 60-member assembly of Manipur.
Once Biren Singh takes charge as the CM, he will have to deliver on the BJP’s promise of ending the ongoing blockade of highways by United Naga Council within 24 hours of coming to power.
Moreover, he will have to work to improve the road connectivity in the state along with advancing the health and education sectors as well.
About Nongthombam Biren Singh
• Biren Singh holds several identities: a national footballer, founder editor of a vernacular daily, and a politician.
• He had earlier been associated with Congress Party since 2007.
• However, he had left the Congress in 2016 to join the rival BJP camp.
• He represents Heingang constituency in Imphal East district.
• In the early 1990s, Biren Singh was a footballer, playing for the Border Security Force’s Jalandhar team.