Noted Historian Bipan Chandra died
Bipan Chandra, former professor of history, was considered to be a specialist in the economic and political history...
Noted historian Bipan Chandra died on 30 August 2014 at his residence in Gurgaon after prolonged illness. He was 86.
Bipan Chandra, former professor of history, was considered to be a specialist in the economic and political history of modern India and was a left leaning historian.
• Born in 1928 in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, Chandra studied at the Forman Christian College, Lahore and Stanford University, United States
• Chandra had authored various books including The Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism, In the Name of Democracy: The JP Movement and the Emergency, Nationalism and Colonialism in Modern India and The Making of Modern India: From Marx to Gandhi.
• He became a Member of the University Grants Commission in 1993.
• He was the Chairman of the National Book Trust, New Delhi from 2004 to 2012.
• He received Padma Bhushan Award in 2010 in the field of Literature and Education.
• He founded the journal ‘Enquiry’ and was a member of its editorial board for a long time.
• He worked as the Reader at Hindu College of Delhi University and then became the professor of History at Jawaharlal Nehru University.
• Chandra served as sectional President and then the general president of the Indian History Congress in 1985.
• He was also awarded Itihas Ratna on his 86th birthday in December 2013 by the Asiatic Society of Bihar.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS