Number one seed Novac Djokovic on 8 May 2016 defeated Andy Murray 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 to conquer the Mutua Madrid Open title in Madrid, Spain.
It was Djokovic’s fifth win in the last 6 ATP 1000 competitions. With the win, he also reached a record 29 Masters 1000 titles.
Mutua Madrid Open title was Djokovic’s second title on the Caja Mágica clay. He claimed the game in two hours and six minutes.
About Novak Djokovic
• Novak Djokovic is a Serbian professional tennis player.
• He is currently ranked world No. 1 in men's singles tennis by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
• He is coached by former Slovak tennis player Marián Vajda and former German tennis player and six-time Grand Slam champion Boris Becker.
• He has won 11 Grand Slam singles titles.
• By winning three Grand Slam titles in 2011, he became the sixth male player to win three majors in a calendar year. He repeated this achievement in 2015.
• He is the first Serbian player to be ranked No. 1 by the ATP and he is the first male player representing Serbia to win a Grand Slam singles title.
• He has won numerous awards, including the 2012, 2015 and 2016 Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsman of the Year, 2011 BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year, five-time ITF World Champion, and four-time ATP year-end number 1.
• He is a recipient of the Order of St. Sava, the Order of Karađorđe's Star and the Order of the Republika Srpska.
About Mutua Madrid Open
• The Madrid Open, currently sponsored by Mutua Madrileña, is a male and female professional tennis tournament.
• It is currently held in Madrid, Spain, during the first week of May.
• The event is classified as an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on the Association of Tennis Professionals tour and a Premier Mandatory event on the Women's Tennis Association tour.
• Andy Murray was the winner of 2015 Mutua Madrid Open.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Novak Djokovic
When: 8 May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.