AIADMK Treasurer O Panneerselvam was sworn-in as Chief Minister (CM) of Tamil Nadu on 29 September 2014. He replaced the former AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa.
He is the 28th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu since 1920. Along with Panneerselvam, the State Cabinet was also sworn-in by the Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah.
O Panneerselvam was elected as the leader of the legislature party of AIADMK on 28 September 2014 following the resignation of AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa.
J Jayalalithaa was convicted in the 18 year old disproportionate assets case of over 66 crore rupees. Bangalore Special Court awarded a four year prison term to her after finding her guilty of amassing unaccounted wealth.
Following the conviction, she lost the position of being an elected member of the legislative Assembly and also the Chief Ministership. After stepping-down from her position, she named her loyalist O Panneerselvam for the post of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.
• Panneerselvam was born on 14 January 1951.
• He is a member of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) party of Tamil Nadu.
• Panneerselvam served as the chairman of Periakulam municipality in 1996.
• He became the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in September 2001 when then Chief Minister Jayalalithaa was barred from holding office by the Supreme Court of India. He served the office till 2002.
• He also served as the Finance Minister of Tamil Nadu in the Jayalalithaa cabinet from 2011 to 2014.
Who: O Panneerselvam
When: 29 September 2014