Rishang Keishing the oldest Parliamentarian of India decided to retire on 21 February 2014. He is 94.
He joined politics as the member of the first Lok Sabha in 1952 after being elected from Socialist Party. He had served the nation for seven decades. He joined Congress in 1962.
The present term of Rishang Keishing of Rajya Sabha is due to ends in April 2014.
Till now, he had served as four time Chief Minister of Manipur, two tenure in Rajya Sabha and two tenures in Lok Sabha.
Keishing is a former school teacher. He hails from Naga- dominated Ukhrul district.
Few serving oldest parliamentarian:
• Ram Sundar Das (92), JD(U) MP from Hajipur, Bihar
• Kailash Joshi (84), BJP MP from Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
• Jai Narain Prasad Nishad (83), JD(U) MP from Muzaffarpur, Bihar
• Shafiqur Rahman Barq (83), BSP MP from Sambhal
• Sukhdev Singh Libra (81), Congress MP from Fatehgarh Sahib, Punjab
Who: Rishang Keishing
When: 21 February 2014