Olympian Anju Bobby George on 22 June 2016 resigned as President of the Kerala Sports Council.
The iconic long jumper, who in 2003 became the first Indian athlete ever to win a medal in a World Athletics Championships in Paris, resigned after being accused for corruption by the state's sports minister EP Jayarajan.
Bobby George was appointed president of the state's sports council in 2015, by the erstwhile Oommen Chandy government.
Anju Bobby George
• Born on 19 April 1977, George is an Indian athlete.
• She won the Gold medal at the IAAF World Athletics Final in 2005.
• In 2005 World Athletics Final in Monte Carlo, she was upgraded to gold status from silver following the disqualification of Tatyana Kotova of Russia by the International Association of Athletics Federations.
• She was awarded Arjuna Award in 2002.
• She won the bronze medal clearing 6.49 m at the 2002 Commonwealth Games at Manchester.
• She also won the gold medal at the Asian Games in Busan.
• In 2001, she also won gold for triple jump and long jump in the Ludhiana National games.
• In 1999 she set the national record for triple jump in the Bangalore Federation Cup and Silver medal at the South Asian Federation Games in Nepal.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 22 June 2016