Om Prakash Kohli on 16 July 2014 took oath of office as Governor of Gujarat. He succeeded Kamla Beniwal who was transferred to Mizoram by the President of India.
His oath of the office and secrecy was administered by Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court Bhaskar Bhattacharya. He was appointed as the Governor of Gujarat by the President on 14 July 2014 along with new governors for Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal and Nagaland.
About Om Prakash Kohli
• Om Prakash Kohli (79) is a veteran leader of BJP
• He is a former Rajya Sabha member (1994-2000)
• He was the Delhi unit BJP president during 1991-95 and 2009-10
• He is an MA in Hindi from University of Delhi
• For over three-decades, he has served as a lecturer at Hansraj College and Deshbandhu College of Delhi University. He retired from service as a reader in 1994.
• During the emergency period, he was arrested under Maintenance of Internal Security Act (MISA) and lodged in Delhi, Agra and Varanasi jails for 19 months
Who: Om Prakash Kohli
When: on 16 July 2014