Parupalli Kashyap on 3 August 2014 became the third Indian to win Gold medal in Badminton at Commonwealth Games (CWG). He achieved the feat at the 2014 CWG in Glasgow, Scotland when he defeated Derek Wong of Singapore. This was also his first Gold medal in any international tournament.
Prior to Kashyap, Prakash Padukone won Gold for India in 1978 and Syed Modi in 1982, after that India had to wait for 32 years for its gold in Badminton.
In the women’s double event, however, the Indian duo of Jwala Gutta and Aswini Ponnappa lost to Malaysian duo of Vivian Kah Mun Hoo and Khe Wei Woon in final to settle for Silver Medal. At 2010 Delhi CWG, the Indian duo had won the Gold medal.
Besides, R.M.V. Gurusaidutt and P V Sindhu won the Bronze medal in Men's and Women's singles respectively.
About P Kashyap
• Parupalli Kashyap was born on 8 August 1986 and represents Andhra Pradesh in National Games.
• He won Bronze in Men's Singles and Silver in Mixed Doubles in Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010.
• Kashyap was the Icon Player for the Banga Beats, an Indian Badminton League team.
• He trains at the Gopichand Academy under Pullela Gopichand, a former All England Open Badminton Champion.
• He is at present ranked number 1 badminton player in India and 20th in the world.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Who: Parupalli Kashyap
When: 3 August 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.