Para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan won eight medals, including three gold medals, at the International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports (IWAS) U-23 World Games.
The games concluded on 3 July 2016 in Prague, Czech Republic.
Mukundan bagged gold medals in 200m freestyle, 50m butterfly and 50m breaststroke, silver in 100m fly and 50m freestyle, and bronze in 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke and 100m backstroke events.
Who is Niranjan Mukundan?
• Born on 4 September 1994, Mukundan is an Indian para-swimmer.
• He was born with a physical deformity called Spina Bifida. It is a birth defect where there is incomplete closing of the backbone and membranes around the spinal cord.
• He was crowned as the Junior World Champion in the year 2015.
• GoSports Foundation supports Mukundan through the Para Champions Programme.
• In 2015, he was given National Award for Best Sports-person of the Year by Government of India.
• In 2016, he was awarded with Ekalavya Award.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App