Prakash Singh panel submits report on Jat quota Agitation
Officers who were derelict in performing the duty or showed soft corner for the agitators have been identified and their names have been mentioned in the report.
Prakash Singh committee constituted to inquire into the omission and commission on part of all officers and officials of police and civil administration during Jat Quota agitation submitted its report to Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar. The report was submitted on 13 May 2016.
The panel submitted its report in two volumes which run into about 450 pages, of which the Main Report is in about 200 pages and another 200 pages is of Annexures. While the, second volume of only about 40 pages, deals with the role of Intelligence in the context of the riots.
After receiving the report, Chief Minister said that government would examine the report and would take appropriate action accordingly.
Findings of the committee
• There is a mention of about 90 officers who have been found guilty.
• Officers who were derelict in performing the duty or showed soft corner for the agitators have been identified and their names have been mentioned in the report.
• The report carried the names of officers who acted responsibly during the Jat quota agitation.
To finalsie the report, the committee visited 8 affected districts of the state and inspected the crime scene, gave patient hearing to the aggrieved and listened those who wanted to appear before the committee. It also collected video footage of the incident of arson from people.
• Haryana government on 25 February 2016 constituted a Committee headed by Prakash Singh, former Director General of Police (DGP) UP and Assam and Director General Border Security Force.
• The committee was supposed to inquire into the acts of omission and commission on part of all officers and officials of both police and civil administration during the period 7 to 2 February 2016 when the Jat reservation agitation resulted in blockades of roads including National Highways.
Other members of the committee were
• IPS officer KP Singh, presently posted as DGP (Haryana)
• IAS officer Vijai Vardhan, Additional Chief Secretary, Higher Education, Archives and Cultural Affairs Department
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App