Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched an intensive immunisation drive at Vadnagar in Gujarat on 8 October 2017.
The campaign called the Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI), aims to reach every child below the age of two years and pregnant women still uncovered under the routine immunisation programme.
The main objective behind this mission is to ensure no child suffers from any vaccine- preventable disease.
• Under the mission, a 7-day immunisation drive will be conducted each month starting immediately till January 2018 in 173 districts and 17 cities.
• These districts include 52 in eight north-eastern states and 121 in 16 other states
• The programme will cover low performing areas in the selected districts and cities.
• It will focus on improving immunisation coverage in the districts and cities to ensure 90 per cent coverage for full immunisation by December 2018 instead of 2020.
• The programme would be supported by 12 ministries and departments and would be monitored by the Cabinet Secretary at the national level.
• The mission was launched during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s two-day visit to Gujarat.
• At the function, the prime minister inaugurated the GMERS Medical College, Vadnagar. The GMERS Medical College serves nearly 400-500 outdoor patients and 80-100 indoor patients daily.
• Modi also launched the Innovative Mobile Phone Technology for Community Health Operation (ImTeCHO) for improving coverage of community-based maternal, neonatal and infant health services.
• Besides this, Modi praised several healthcare initiatives of the government. He also expressed satisfaction at the success of the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan under which private doctors volunteer to provide free ANC services to pregnant women on the 9th day of every month, alongside government doctors.
Further, in four phases, the Mission Indradhanush has reached more than 2.53 Cr children and 68 lakh pregnant women in the country.
Implementation of the Mission in states
Following the launch of the nation-wide intensified drive by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a special campaign under Mission Indradhanush was launched by Jammu and Kashmir government to achieve full immunisation in the state.
According to the state’s Health Minister Bali Bhagat, the main focus of the campaign would be to accelerate and ensure full immunisation coverage in the state, especially in areas where immunisation coverage has been low.
In Uttar Pradesh, a special immunisation drive for children up to 5 years of age was launched in 60 districts of the state under the mission.
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal also launched the Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) campaign in Gurgaon on 8 October. The drive will be held in four other districts of the state including Faridabad, Palwal and Mewat.
Assam’s Health and Family Welfare Minister, Himanta Biswa Sarma also launched the campaign at one of the hospitals in Guwahati.
Who: PM Narendra Modi
When: 8 October 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.