Pope Francis on 23 November 2014 conferred sainthood on two Indians-Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Sister Euphrasia. Pope Francis pronounced them as saint at a special mass St Peter's Square at Vatican.
Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara is popularly known as Chavara Achen and Sister Euphrasia is popularly known as Evuprasiamma both were from Kerala.
They were conferred sainthood along with four Italian saints. These were
• Giovanni Antonio Farina- Bishop of Vicenza in the late 1800s
• Missionary Ludovico da Casoria
• Fellow Franciscans Nicola da Longobardi
• Amato Ronconi
The process of considering a person for sainthood is an often decades-long process. The person has been dead for five years and has been credited with bringing about two miracles.
Sister Alphonsa was the first Indian to be declared as saint in 2008.
About Chavara Achen
• Father Kuriakose Chavara was proclaimed as a priest in 1829. He was beatified in 1986 and he received the beatification after claims of several miracles by his followers.
• Chavara was also a social reformer and believed that intellectual development and education of women was the first step towards overall social welfare.
• He first introduced the system called A school along with every church, which was successful in making free education available for everyone.
• Chavara died in Jan 1871 at the age of 65.
About Sister Euphrasia
• Sister Euphrasia was beatified in 2006 and she was known as praying mother and saint among nuns.
• Sister Euphrasia was declared a Servant of God in 1987 and followed by Venerable in July 2002.
• She was declared as Blessed by Cardinal Mar Varkey Vithayathil, the Major Archbishop of the Syro Malabar church in December 2006.
• She died in August 1952 at the age of 75.
When: 23 November 2014
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla