Portugal Government on 12 January 2017 conferred the Grande Oficial da Ordem do Infante da Henrique honour on former Union Minister of State for External Affairs Eduardo Faleiro.
The honour was bestowed on Eduardo Faleiro for his services in the expansion of Portuguese culture, history and values.
The award was presented to Eduardo Faleiro by Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa at the residence of the Portuguese Consul General in Panaji.
Antonio Costa is on a 3-day visit to Goa, which is a former Portuguese colony.
During his tour, the Portuguese Prime Minister posthumously presented Cultural Merit Medal to Paulo Varela Gomes
Gomes was a historian and former director of the Fundacao Oriente, an institution engaged in cultural activities in Goa. The medal was received by Gomes’ wife Patricia Vieira.
Who is Eduardo Faleiro?
• Eduardo Faleiro is an Indian politician and former Union Minister of State for External Affairs during the UPA Government.
• He is a veteran Congress leader. He has studied in Portugal.
• He worked as an MLA in Goa. He was also member of both houses of the parliament.
• He is credited with the establishment of good diplomatic relations with Portugal during his tenure as the Union Minister.
• In 2007, he became the chairman of Universal Peace Federation of India. It is an non governmental organisation associated with United Nations.
When: 12 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.