President Pranab Mukherjee on 15 October 2015 concluded his 3-nation tour to Jordan, Palestine and Israel. During his 6-day visit, which took place from 10 October to 15 October 2015, President Pranab signed various agreement and MoUs with three nations to boost the bilateral ties.
During his visit, he also met the leaders of the three nations namely President and Prime Minister of Israel Reuven Rivlin and Benjamin Netanyahu respectively, His Majesty King Abdullah-II Ibn Al Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, President and Prime Minister of Palestine Mahmoud Abbas and Rami Hamdallah respectively.
During this tour, he stayed in Jordan (10 to 12 October 2015), Palestine (12 to 13 October 2015) and Israel (13 to 15 October 2015). Mukherjee’s visit to these three countries was the first ever visit by an Indian President.
Major Highlights of the visit
• President invited Israel to participate in the transformation of India and sought Israel’s participation in Digital India programme.
• He was conferred honorary doctorate by Hebrew University in Jerusalem, University of Jordan and Al-Quds University, Palestine.
• The president extended invitation to the countries to invest in India and also sought steps to further deepen the ties.
• The accompanying academic delegation exchanged Memoranda of Understanding in all the three places.
• A road and a roundabout in Ramallah, Palestine named after India as Sharia-e-Al-hind (India road) and Midan-e-Al-hind (India roundabout) were inaugurated.
• President inaugurated a street named after Mahatma Gandhi in Amman, Jordan.
• Six agreements/MoUs signed with Jordan on trade and economic, and investment cooperation
• India gave 5 million US dollars grant to Palestine as Budgetary assistance
• Ten agreements/MoUs including Double Taxation Avoidance & Cultural Exchange signed with Israel
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 15 October 2015