Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 1 May 2016 launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) at Ballia, Uttar Pradesh. It will benefit the poor, especially the women.
The scheme aims to provide cooking gas connections to five crore below-poverty-line beneficiaries over the next three years.
Salient features of PMUY
• PM Ujjwala Yojana will provide 5 crore LPG connections to BPL Families.
• FM had announced about the scheme in his 2016-17.Budget Speech with a budgetary provision of 2000 crore rupees.
Need for the PMUY
• LPG spread predominantly in Urban and Semi Urban Areas whereas the rural poor have limited access to Clean fuel (LPG).
• Use of fossil fuels and conventional fuel like cow dung are having serious health implications for women and Children.
• According to WHO, 5 Lakhs die every year due to heart disease, pulmonary diseases etc.
• Indoor air pollution is also responsible for significant number of acute respiratory diseases in young children.
Operational details of PMUY
• 5 crore LPG connections will be provided to BPL families with a support of 1600 rupees.
• Connections will be given in the name of Women beneficiaries.
• Identification of BPL families will be made in consultation with State Governments and Union territories.
• EMI Facility for meeting the cost of Stove and Refill cost.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Launched by PM Modi
When: 1 May 2016