PV Sindhu on 17 September 2017 became the first Indian shuttler to win the BWF Korean Open Super Series.
Sindhu defeated Nozomi Okuhara of Japan 22-20, 11-21, 21-18 to grab the prestigious title.
The duo had already fought-out the longest match in the final of the BWF World Championship in August 2017, when Okuhara emerged victorious after a 110-minute match.
About PV Sindhu
• Born on 5 July 1995, Pusarla Venkata Sindhu is an Indian professional badminton player.
• She is currently world no 4 in the BWF World Ranking.
• At the 2016 Summer Olympics, she became the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal.
• In March 2015, she was honoured with India’s fourth highest civilian honour, the Padma Shri.
About Korea Open Super Series
• The Korea Open Super Series is an annual badminton event.
• It is commonly held in Seoul, South Korea.
• The 2017 Korea Open Super Series had a total purse of USD 600000.
• The Men’s Singles title of the 2017 Korea Open Super Series was grabbed by Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting.
• The winners of the Men’s Doubles title of the 2017 Korea Open Super Series are Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen.
• The winners of the Women’s Doubles title of the 2017 Korea Open Super Series are Huang Yaqiong and Yu Xiaohan.
• The winners of the Mixed Doubles title of the 2017 Korea Open Super Series are Praveen Jordan and Debby Susanto.
Who: PV Sindhu
When: 17 September 2017
WCD Ministry observes National Girl Child Day 2019; marks anniversary of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
World Integrated Medicine Forum held to advance global cooperation in Homoeopathy
ECI to host international conference on making elections inclusive and accessible
ISRO to launch Kalamsat, Microsat-R satellites on PSLV-C44 rocket