Rafael Nadal on 17 April 2016 defeated Frenchman Gael Monfils to grab the 2016 Monte Carlo Masters title.
Nadal, appearing in his 100th Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour final, won 7-5 5-7 6-0 in 2 hours 46 minutes to claim his ninth title, but his first since 2012.
About Rafael Nadal
• Nadal is a Spanish professional tennis player currently ranked world No. 5.
• He has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles, the 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles, record equalling 28 titles in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events, and 16 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments.
• In 2010, he became the seventh player in history and youngest of four in the Open Era to achieve the Career Grand Slam at age 24.
• He is the second male player, after Andre Agassi, to complete the singles Career Golden Slam.
• By winning the 2014 French Open, he became the only male player to win a single Grand Slam tournament nine times and the first to win at least one Grand Slam tournament for ten consecutive years.
• He is the only male player in tennis history to win one Grand Slam and Masters 1000 title for ten consecutive years from 2005 to 2014.
About Monte-Carlo Masters
• The Monte-Carlo Masters is an annual tennis tournament for male professional players held in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France, a commune that borders on Monaco.
• The event is part of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 on ATP Tour.
• The tournament is played on clay courts and is held every year in the April–May period.
• The Monte Carlo tennis championship was first held in 1897. It became an Open event in 1969.
• In 1990, it became an ATP Championship Series Single Week tennis event.
• Beginning in 2009, Monte Carlo became the only ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament not to have a mandatory player commitment.
• Rafael Nadal won the title eight consecutive times between 2005 and 2012, making him the only player in the open era to win eight consecutive titles at the same tournament.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.